Home & Long Term Care Insurance
Long Term Care Insurance pays for help both in your home and nursing home, when you can no longer care for yourself, that is you are not able to fully do 2 or more of seven “Activities of daily living” which include eating, bathing, dressing, ambulating, transferring, toileting, and continence. The money from your policy are not taxable as income and the premium can be deductible. What are your Costs of Long Term Care and chances of needing Long Term Care?
Medicare does NOT pay for Long Term Care (Page 147).. Medicare may pay for 90 days in a nursing home after 3 days in a hospital. Click here for Medicare Publication 10153 to learn more above coverage in skilled nursing, when you need medical care and not just maintenance.
Long Term Care includes a wide range of mostly non-medical services that are designed to help people maintain the maximum level of independence. Care can be custodial, intermediate or skilled in nature and can be provided in the home, (most claims are for in home care) community or institutional setting. Long term care can be provided in a formal (nursing home) or informal manner (home care, family & friends).
The Three main types of coverage are:
- nursing facility,
- home care – here’s what Medicare covers publication # 10969 32 Pages
- comprehensive, which includes both nursing and home care coverage. BJFIM.com
Questions to ask yourself to figure out what you might need?
- If you were unable to fully take care of yourself, that is you had along term care problem, claim or event, what are your plans to deal with the costs, emotional issues and stress on your loved ones?
- Where will the money to deal with a disability come from to pay for your care and/or assistance?
- How will this impact your retirement nest egg?
1. Seven percent of my annual income is approximately $_______________. (This is the maximum amount of annual income experts advise spending on a premium.)
2. The cash value of my non-housing assets* is $____________. (This is the amount you would otherwise have to spend for long-term care.)
3. My non-housing assets would last _____________ years if I needed care today. (This is the approximate number of years of coverage you might consider buying.)
4. I can afford to pay $____________ a day towards the cost of my own care. The difference between the amount I can afford and the cost of care today is $_________. (This is the approximate amount of daily benefit you will need.)
5. I can afford to pay a total of $____________ for the first days of care in a nursing home. Therefore, I will need a waiting period no longer than:
30 days $__________ 60 days $__________ 90 days $____________.
(To determine the amount you would pay, multiply the daily nursing home cost times the number of days in the waiting period.) Copied from Taking Care of Tomorrow *
Children can pay the premium on their parents policy.
Double check that your Long Term Carrier remains solvent and can hold their prices & promises Cal Broker Magazine *
Husband & Wife Planning – 2 page brochure
If your employer pays, it’s no income to you and the employer gets a deduction.
Please email us [email protected] for more details.
Can I be denied because of genetic testing?
The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–233, 122 Stat. 881, prohibits the use of genetic information in health insurance and employment. The Act prohibits group health plans and health insurers from denying coverage to a healthy individual or charging that person higher premiums based solely on a genetic predisposition to developing a disease in the future. The legislation also bars employers from using individuals’ genetic information when making hiring, firing, job placement, or promotion decisions. The Act contains amendments to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 and the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
See also worksheet from NAIC
CA Health Care Advocates
Dave Ramsey on when you need Long Term Care
Rate Increases? Calif. Health Line 3.16.2016
How will we pay for LTC? CA Health Line 3.16.2016
Asset & Income Questionnaires? Do you have too much $$$ so you don't need LTC or so little it's Medi-Cal?
NAIC National Assoc. of Insurance Commissioners
Will annuities take care of your planning needs?
Genworth - What is long Term Care?
Total Living Coverage Brochure 20 pages Rev 11.2013
Life Happens.Org - Long Term Care
Prevent & Report Elder Abuse CA Attorney General
Cal Pers 85% Rate Hike 2.22.2013
LTC Glossary ♦ Long Term Care Glossary ♦ Genworth Glossary
Importance of Completing Application Properly Lawyer’s Website Steve Shorr’s Website
You Tube Video's on Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care....
CA Dept of Aging – Home & Long Term Care
Taking Care of Tomorrow
Baby Boomers - Long Term Care Costs are Rising
Kiplinger - Why you need Long Term Care
A quick look at Medicare coverage of skilled nursing facility (SNF) care
What’s skilled nursing facility (SNF) care?
Why would I need skilled nursing or therapy care?
How do I find and choose a skilled nursing facility (SNF)?
Medicare SNF Coverage
When will Medicare cover skilled nursing facility (SNF) care?
How long does Medicare cover my SNF care?
Examples of Medicare skilled nursing facility (SNF) coverage
What does Medicare cover when I qualify for skilled nursing facility (SNF) care?
What You Pay
What do I pay for skilled nursing facility (SNF) care in 2015?
Ways to get help paying for skilled care and other health care costs
Your Care in a SNF
What’s an assessment?
What’s a care plan?
When Your Medicare Coverage Ends
What if I think my skilled nursing facility (SNF) coverage is ending too soon?
Your Rights & Protections
What are my rights in a skilled nursing facility (SNF)?
How can I report and resolve problems?
What if I think my SNF charges are wrong?
Skilled Nursing Facility Checklist
Learn More at Long Term Care.Gov
Rob Lowe - Maria Shriver Video
Long Term Care 101
Suze Orman - Long Term Care
Finding a Medicare-certified home health agency
Comparing home health agencies
Home Health Agency Checklist
Special rules for home health care
Find out more about home health agencies
Child, Related Pages & Site Map
- §1035 Exchange of Annuities or Life Insurance for Long Term Care Planning
- 7 Activities of Daily Living ADL
- Can’t afford premiums or not medically qualified
- Costs of Long Term Care
- Employer Groups – Long Term Care
- Low Income – Assets Assistance – Alternatives
- Mutual of Omaha LTC
- Nursing Homes – Assisted Living – Finding and Selecting the best ones